The Isetta or “little Iso” was originaly designed and first manufactured by the same Italian firm that later produced the exotic Iso Rivolta, Iso Fidia and Iso Grifo. The Isetta was also built under license by both Velam in France and BMW in Germany and is credited as being the car that saved BMW. BMW made the Isetta its own. They redesigned the powerplant around a one-cylinder, four-stroke, 247 cc motorcycle engine which generated 13 hp. Although the major elements of the Iso remained intact, BMW re-engineered so much the car that none of the parts are interchangeable. The first BMW Isetta appeared in April 1955, and after 161,728 units had been built, in May of 1962, BMW ceased production of the Isetta.